Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 53 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T43 View Post
    I plan on proving that an average guy can get it done with good equipment that doesn't cost a fortune.
    That's already BEEN proven time and time again... which leads me to my next point: You should be out there bowhunting for YOURSELF, not to prove anything to anyone else. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy. Just have fun, try your best, and before making any life or death decisions (for the animal), always be sure to ask yourself if it's a responsible decision before following through. Do those things and everything else should fall into place. Also, focus on learning new things about the animals each time you go out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Perhaps I worded that a little wrong. I don't plan on proving anything necessarily to anyone and I know there are a lot of guys who have already done what I'm doing. The point I was trying to get across was based on the large number of forums out there that get over run with the " don't buy that save your money until you can afford the best most expensive gear" comments that don't actually offer any help to a guy who asks about products he can afford that will get him in the field. This site doesn't seem to be that way and thats why I posted this here. If someone posts in here to find out who makes the best spotter for under $100 he probably already knows what quality he will get and doesn't need to hear who makes the best one. I have been that guy and if I could have found a place like this I would have known that even the Trekker spotter is better than nothing but the Simons would have been a better choice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If anyone is looking to buy Eberlestock products, hit up Steve Speck at sandsarchery.com. He's a great guy to deal with and can give you reviews on any of the products he sells. He has good prices as well. I got a couple J34's from him for me and a buddy of mine and recently purchased a Biag Agnes Fly Creek UL2 from him. Fast shipping and I like supporting a fellow archery hunter as well.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sounds very intereesting and practical- My husband says he is going to teach me how to bow hunt as soon as he sells our unique 640 property with believe it or not a year round stream, pine and juniper trees and pre subdivided into 40 acre lots in Gold country Nevada I hate to see it go especially at the price he is selling it $590k any suggestions

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am new to this forum but Ilike your comments: It doesn't matter how much one think they know at work or play: Learning something new & making responsible decisions is so underated these days please visit my site when it is convenient for you http://www.natromed.com/primeretreatspots.html

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Smells like spam in this thread, grepa123.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Obviously spam.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like spam!!! Fried with some eggs...makes a great breakfast for bowhunters...and no I dont have a website about it hahaha.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    T43, i am on a similiar path. although I have hunted my entire life, I have avoided archery because i really like guns and because of the low success rate many archers experience. Well a few years ago I was given a Martin recurve and I have began shooting it this summer. Im kind of getting hooked. it is facinating to me how the brain knows how to aim when shooting by feel. I am nervous to take thistraditional set up into the field though. I am killing vital size targets with consistancy at 30 yards, but still nervous. I am however going muzzy hunting for the first time this year. This whole switch for me from rifle is the fact that I have very limited time in october for the next three years and that is the rifle season here in CO.

I cant wait to hear about your experience.

As far as gear, my budget is small as yours. I recently upgraded to a real hunting pack-the eberlestock Just one. I was interestd in the Blue widow, but I figured most of the time the pack will be in compression state and I can suffer alittle on the meat end of the deal. I leave my big Gregory in trck for the second load. I always hunt alone and end up pulling my elk out by myself in several trips.

I have a great pair of Brunton binos and when I had to purchase a spotting scope with limited funds I went with the Redfield Rampage. honestly my Bruntons are better most of the time. The Redfield is great at 25 power and decent at 45 power, but at 60 power it goes to hell. Oh well. I think in this department it is "buy cheap, buy twice".
    Im using my old North Face mountain tent that has been with me for 14 years. It weighs in at 12 pounds with the fly and other goodies, but it is a bomb shelter. I still have a strong back and legs at 39 so this tent will have to do for the next couple of years.

Good luck and keep at it with updates!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm headed out for a scouting trip Tuesday with my new Eberlestock Dragonfly. I was a little sad selling the X2 to help pay for it but I think I'll get over it. In fact I may be over it on Tuesday as the guy I sold it to will be going with me. I picked up a Eureka tent for about $60. It's about 5 lbs and should work perfectly for September. I still need a spotter and I think it will probably be a put off until next year deal. I have the trekker piece of garbage and it will have to do for now. I've been watching the classifieds for used ones but nothing has materialized. I talked to the local game warden and the regional biologist about the area I'm looking at. both were encouraging. I won't be far from where I have always hunted but it will be far enough that I figured I would at least take the time to make the calls and I'm glad I did. I'm headed to Boise next week and figure I'll pick up a few Mountain house meals, some new game bags and a new set of base layers that don't rub like 80 grit haynes long johns. Other than that I'm set. My vacation is scheduled for the 9th through the 21st of September. If nothing else I'm going to have a great time.