Thanks

Looking for any info on the Muary Unit deer ( mentoring)

I'm mentoring my 9 year old son this year. What a great program for kids, I can't wait. Just looking for any info possible about the area
    Boot leather isn't an issue for him

Thanks
    Good amount of public land BLM, and also alot of private to the south end.
    Google earth will let you check out alot of it from overhead. Its high desert mostly with sage& junipers with some larger timbered USFS areas to the north.
    Never hunted it. Its now a controlled bow hunt as well as rifle. It is also a cougar emphasis area due to being part of the winter range. Some good bucks there, but like all of E. OR. Not anything like it was even 10 years ago.
    Call the ODFW field office out of Bend and ask for the biologist for that area, and also look on the ODFW web site for info. There is a good amount of it there.
    Kevin

Thanks
    H3Dad.... the last time I hunted the Maury Unit I was chasing antelope with a bow. That was about 5 years ago. Saw many antelope running back and forth from chunks of private land, which were alfalfa fields. Also saw deer every day coming from the timber to feed and water on the same private land. The deer would actually walk down the gravel road or next to it to get to the private land. None of the deer were 'trophy' animals, but they were fun to hunt. I was hunting the south western portion of the unit. One of the private landowners had a large herd of elk staying on the property, which was fun to watch. Probabaly not much help, but that is all I know about that unit....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fishhog24 View Post
    H3Dad.... the last time I hunted the Maury Unit I was chasing antelope with a bow. That was about 5 years ago. Saw many antelope running back and forth from chunks of private land, which were alfalfa fields. Also saw deer every day coming from the timber to feed and water on the same private land. The deer would actually walk down the gravel road or next to it to get to the private land. None of the deer were 'trophy' animals, but they were fun to hunt. I was hunting the south western portion of the unit. One of the private landowners had a large herd of elk staying on the property, which was fun to watch. Probabaly not much help, but that is all I know about that unit....
    Thanks for the info every little bit helps. We are really excited about the hunt. God I love the relentless pursuit!!! Oh, did you get a antelope?

Thanks
    No antelope. It was my first antelope hunt and the only thing I got out of it was an addiction!!!!