Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Area 74

Thanks

Area 74

I drew an area 74 antelope tag and 118 deer tag. I'm hoping the winter wasn't too hard on the antelope in that area. I'm hoping to score on a buck 78 or better and I hope this is still doable I'm also thinking about pushing my hunt in 74 until the second week in Oct so I won't have to make two trips from WA. Do you think this will really lessen my chances of finding a good buck. Any info on this area would be appreciated.

Thanks
    I will let you know it was a very hard winter this year in those areas 72-75. Hunting in October wont really make that much a difference, youll have more people hunting deer, but less hunting antelope so double edge there. Its going to be hard to find a 75+ goat in any of those areas specified. Its funny how the eastmans promote these areas, Especially 73, 74 and 75 generally the hardest winther kills other than shirley rim country. Most of the winter in those areas had 1-2 feet of packed snow. It was a rough one for antelope. Ive lived here for over thirty years and can tell you this ones going to be a tough year to find good anything.

Thanks
    I also drew a 74 tag this year and I'm very excited about what I'm seeing for gaots... If you can't get a goat over 75" then you either miss judged or didn't try... The winter wasn't as bad as justin said... The forage is in excellent condition for producing whoppers!!! So good luck Fish...

Thanks
    Hunted in 74 last year. Was a fun hunt with alot of antelope. Looked over alot of bucks over 3 days and took the buck that is on my avatar pic. He ended up scoring 74 and some change, was very happy with him, as he was my first goat. Lots of BLM, state and WIA's to hunt. We went the second week of the season and didnt see any other hunters, bucks were also rutting very hard. Good luck, let us know how your hunts went. Will be back out in Wy this year chasing deer in Region M, if anyone has any advise for that area.

Thanks
    Apparently chadder wasnt out in that area at all during the winter months, and to tell people that your basically a idiot if you dont get a 75 inch or bigger antelope is wrong too. Oh and by the way the green grass this late is not necessarily a good thing, the grass in that area did not start to get green until about the first to middle part of june, so in years past it was getting green in late april and at the very least mid may, so you lost about a month to a month and a half of good growing, and fat strorage, which if you know anything about animals and horn or antler growth is essentail in getting the animals full potential. But anyway good luck to you...
    Last edited by justinthedoc; 07-18-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks
    Actually I work in those areas alot and these parts of Wyoming haven't seen a actual winter in years...This year was just a Wyoming winter that we haven't seen in years.... Been very mild for many years... I'm not calling anyone an idiot, so don't put words in my mouth... It is very doable getting a 75" goat.... Also during the drought it wasn't getting green at all.... So you can keep your negative energy... I was in the hills today and have a 80+ goat spotted and seen several 75" speed goats....

Thanks
    Your funny, figured you were a gas empolyee... By the way not spreading negative energy bro... just stating facts.... good luck with that 80 incher. Dont really care what you say, I now what the winter kill was and I will leave it that. Fish go talk to Ace spratt at his ranch in lost cabin he owns most of 74 and you can google him and try an attempt over the phone if you wish to, he might still charge a trespass fee.

Thanks
    Hey guys, I didn't mean to start a pissing match between the both of you, especially since I'm a NR hunter. I know the winter was rough on both deer and antelope but I wanted to hunt before I get to old to get out. I'll be 61 in a few days but I'm still in good shape, thank god. I talked to the biologist for both area 74 and 118 for deer and I knew what I was up against. Would have like to have drawn area 89 for deer, but 3 points wasn't going to do it and I wasn't going to wait 3 or more years to draw it. I plan to hunt the walk in areas in 74. I don't mind walking a few miles to get a good goat. I don't need an 80 but I would like a crack at one 78 or so. I've shot a few in the 78-79 range and six or so that are not so good. I've hunted areas 46 52,89,91 in the past and all held sone good antelope.

Thanks
    Hey guys, I didn't mean to start a pissing match between the both of you, especially since I'm a NR hunter. I know the winter was rough on both deer and antelope but I wanted to hunt before I get to old to get out. I'll be 61 in a few days but I'm still in good shape, thank god. I talked to the biologist for both area 74 and 118 for deer and I knew what I was up against. Would have like to have drawn area 89 for deer, but 3 points wasn't going to do it and I wasn't going to wait 3 or more years to draw it. I plan to hunt the walk in areas in 74. I don't mind walking a few miles to get a good goat. I don't need an 80 but I would like a crack at one 78 or so. I've shot a few in the 78-79 range and six or so that are not so good. I've hunted areas 46 52,89,91 in the past and all held some good antelope. I bought a couple of doe antelope tags also. Where is a good place to get them processed at a fair price? I'll probably need to because of the warm weather in late Sept. Any suggestions on where to stat hunting in area 74? Is there any good fly fishing near by. Do you think the bigger bucks would be picked over if I start my antelope hunt on Oct 7th or so?
    I hope I'm not asking too many questions. I will contact the GW and area biologist again before I go.
    Thanks again for the info
    Fish

Thanks
    No im fine just tired of lies, when and if I draw antelope tags I wait til atleast the last week of september to go. Less people all the residents smoke most theres the opener. Plus I think the big bucks wait til the later part of the rut to grab does, just a theory of mine that has workd. Not very much fly-fishing in those parts, I suppose you could run over to the wind below boysen and cast a bit, not to far from your area. I only now of processors in casper, if thats were your stayin then I would choose dans, or pats. Best in the town. Riverton have no idea. If you have hunted goats that often you will be fine dont worry about it plenty of goats. Most your antelope guys will be gone by the time your planning on going, check the gas hills road area, and your southern boundry. Now lots of guys who hunt that area.