Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: practicing

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 1 Post

practicing

So now that my archery antelope season is only a month away... I am practicing all the time, like I'm sure most of you do too.. So I have a couple of questions..

1. How do you practice? I have heard a lot of debate from people and I'm curious as to what everyone does to get all prepared. Some people say that shooting your bow as much as you possibly can is the best way to go.. I have also heard that you are just supposed to go out every 15-30 minutes and shoot one arrow, since you only get one shot when you are hunting anyways. So I was just curious of everyone's thoughts?

2. I get extremely bored at shooting at the same target all the time... Any thoughts on how to make it a little more fun? Should I strap an apple to my dogs head?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Soleadventure.com? Is that right? this weeks blog you should read.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I try to shoot 20-30 arrows at least every other day, focusing on form and making the first shot count. Most days I shoot between 30-50 yards, while mixing in some 60 & 70 yd shooting. I don't always worry about hitting the bullseye, but just trying to get really tight groups. The reason for this is that point-of-impact seems to vary slightly throughout the summer, and by hunting season, all things seem to come together. Building strength and consistency take priority now, and shooting too many arrows in a session can tire you out, and ultimately can destroy confidence. I also try to finish my sessions on a positive note, as that helps keep me motivated. Good luck this fall, and we all want to see pictures of your goat.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    YES!! I like that crimsonarrow. End it on a possitive note!! The other day I shot ten arrows. Robinhooded the last one and went inside!!

I do agree not to shoot too much. I second all the above. One thing I do that helps me by the time hunting comes around is my practice session. 20 arrows a day 4-5 days a week is a good stay tuned routine. More if your muscles can handle it.
    I also talk my way through every single shot before I press the trigger. In the field I press draw my bow to minimize movement. Since I took up hunting I have switched to this method for all the time so as to perfect the form. I start with the bow held tight up to my chest and attach the release. I look at the target and press the riser away from my chest until my bow is as far as it will be away from me. I then and only then take up the pressure with my right hand and finish drawing the bow straight back and anchor in. Broadheads will catch and cut your fingers unlike field tips. So as soon as anchored I got through this count down.
    Relax grip, close top finger.
    Look at range pin, look away to target.
    Review anchor point, touch lightly to trigger.
    Look through pin and focus on target, settle shoulders, press release slowly. BOOM....arrows away. I dont say the BOOM part though..lol
    My wife makes fun on me because she says she can see my lips moving as I talk through the sequence. Each shot takes me 30 to 60 seconds to get away. I go slow to build endurance in the shot hold muscles so they are in shape to do so as needed on a hunt.
    I can do that routine as fast as needed or as slow as needed..but either way its engrained into my sequence.

What ever you do, take time to pick apart your body as you shoot...pay attention to every single little detail, and when you find a shot that works..build yourself a preshot sequence that you live by for every shot..and your skill will soon reflect it.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love this forum
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I am definitely going to change up my shooting routine a little!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Do what feel good. Some days you fell like shooting 50 arrows, other other a dozen is good. If I start missing the mark, I will just stop and take a hour or two break and head back out. I also practice at longer ranges than my normal hunting shot. I don't shoot much under 50 yards. I just know my pins are good at 20, 30 , and 40. I also practice with the gear I plan n hunting with ie...backpack on, gloves, face mask, ect...

Good luck on the season. Are you spot and stalking, or sitting on a water hole?
    >>>----------------->
    Strother Inspire
    Gold Tip Kenetics 300
    Ripcord Code Red
    Tight Spot Quiver
    Black Gold Ascent
    Landshark by Simmons Sharks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I spot and stalk.. I did get a blind last year though so I may try sitting on a water hole this year. I dont know yet... I love the challenge of spot and stalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    First thing in the morning before I go to work, I take my bow out and shoot one arrow only, concentrating on that one shot, thinking to myself you only get one shot. In the afternoon I will shoot about 50 arrows with good form. If you want to make it more fun, fill some balloons up with baby powder and shoot em, makes a good poof when you hit them. Or you can take a piece cardboard, spread a full deck of cards face up and get some buddies to play 21, pick your cards and hope you can hit em. Good luck Jen!
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ruttin- Those are great ideas! I think I will definitely try them! Especially the balloon one..! Thanks so much!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    One arrow for me. When I know my bow and everything is shooting good I go out with one arrow and one broadhead to any random yardage. I pull out the 3D and give myself one shot to get the kill. The added pressure helps. After this maybe half hour or later I will go back out and shoot a little more if I feel like it. Try and make sure everything is in working order. I would not recommend shooting just one arrow until you can go out and reapeat, repeat, repeat the same process everytime you draw your bow and release.
    To mix it up I move around the 3D, shoot from different angles, sitting, standing, kneeling, anything I can to make it more realistic. Sometimes I even shoot with a full backpack on. If I am going to be hunting in the heat (and I did) I would do a good workout than immediately go outside all sweaty and make that one arrow count.