Thread: ELK Unit 66?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts

ELK Unit 66?

Anyone ever hunted this unit? I was just wondering how rugged this country is? and What I'll be looking at as far as trophy quality. Send me an email!

Thanks Guys

Tick
    Tall, Wide and Handsome!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    check your messages woodtick

Thanks
    Congratulations
    woodtick I am looking at that unit also. I got some maps look like some good wilderness land that a guy if he is willing to hike and can get in the backcountry. Let me know if you get any good info and I will do same

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Sounds good!
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have hunted unit 66 for 20 years. It can get pretty crowded at times and road hunters/ATVs are obnoxious. If you get off the trails and roads and are willing to work at it you will find plenty of animals. The country can be either very rugged or relatively mild, depending on where the animals are. The trophy potential is marginal but I have seen some big animals taken and on the hoof too. As for areas, it all depends on what season you plan to hunt. The second and third rifle sees a lot of animals in transition zones, so they are hard to predict. It all depends on the weather, moisture and feed that year. It is a good area but it is not the best, it takes work and patience but what unit doesn't. If you are looking for more of a sure thing or more animals I would pick a different unit. The deer herd was hit HARD several winters ago....still some nice ones around but fewer for sure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    All I have to say is that it is one of the most rugged and steep areas you could hunt... Be careful what you wish for Spent a few days in there and it is beautiful but be prepared for some serious vertical time to get into animals and like Gunni said... Trophy quality is marginal, that's why it's fairly easy to draw, so keep your expectations low.
    "This is A Way of Life"