Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post

Hunting tag broker?

Hello , I am a little overwhelmed on trying to apply for tags for Sheep, Elk ,Moose (well all the once in a lifetime animals) and want to make sure i dont miss out or do it wrong. I have heard of "Tag Brokers" if i am not mistaken and need some light shed on if i should do this and if so are there and good guys to go too. I would also be willing to pay for lessons on how and where i should apply. Or should i just suck it up and see what happens myself?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 87 Times in 11 Posts
    Talk to Umpqua hunter... He needs to go into business. He is here on our forum.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    Talk to Umpqua hunter... He needs to go into business. He is here on our forum.
    I second this option. Umpqua knows his chit!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 86 Times in 12 Posts
    X3 Jim is the guy to talk to.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Brokers sell tags, app services apply for you. I wouldn't use an app service if it was free.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lots of options...

Don't be overwhelmed, it's a lot at first, but once you get the general ideas it's not bad.

Subscribe to Eastmans' and The Huntin Fool!

If in doubt, just buy/build points in that state that year, don't burn /apply for a unit that you have no clue about or assume is good...

Cabelas, huntin fool, all have services to apply you for tags, but not very hard to read a section in a magazine each month and then go apply...

btw if it's your first year applying for a certain state, apply before the deadline at least a week, some states require more information... hunter ed certification etc... and if you apply an hour before the deadline there will be no way to get that stuff cleared in time.

Good luck!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    Brokers sell tags, app services apply for you. I wouldn't use an app service if it was free.

Yep, and I agree to do it yourself unless a guy has a ton of money to waste or is way too busy with work and family , etc.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akrem44 View Post
    Hello , I am a little overwhelmed on trying to apply for tags for Sheep, Elk ,Moose (well all the once in a lifetime animals) and want to make sure i dont miss out or do it wrong. I have heard of "Tag Brokers" if i am not mistaken and need some light shed on if i should do this and if so are there and good guys to go too. I would also be willing to pay for lessons on how and where i should apply. Or should i just suck it up and see what happens myself?
    To understand the odds of drawing, best trophy areas, and which states to apply/avoid then you can't beat Eastman's, Huntin Fool and Hunters Trailhead. Learning the ins and outs of what stamps and licenses you need prior to applying, learning the unit, sex, weapon type lingo in every state will be overwhelming at first but you will just breeze through after a couple years. I suggest looking for the deadlines and study the state draws in that order starting now. Then you won't be overwhelmed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 31 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Yep, and I agree to do it yourself unless a guy has a ton of money to waste or is way too busy with work and family , etc.
    I could see some people using it but for me the research is all part of the fun. Not saying I will never use one, I just dont have the extra $$ to justify it.

Even for our family vacations we choose not to use a agency, just like hunting part of the fun is finding the best deal.

I have heard some good about Cabelas service, thats the only one I have ever heard anything about. Huntin Fool offers something but I know nothing about it other than the advertisement I seen was a bit pricey.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I agree. Planning, research and anticipation are half the fun, unless you feel strongly about giving that to someone else other than your spouse, in which case Cabela's probably does a nice job.

With tag brokers and hunting consultants I always worry about conflicts of interest. Are you really getting the best choice for you? How much that does person really know or is he just reading a chart? Will they put the time and effort into research that a hunter would who is cashing in a lot of points and spending a lot of money? Do they get a referral fee or free hunts, vouchers or some other goodie from any outfitters they recommend? Would they steer you into the same unit they plan to apply for?
    Last edited by hoshour; 12-21-2014 at 01:17 PM.