Thread: New Mexico Tags

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts

Red face New Mexico Tags

Got my applications in for New Mexico Elk "" again " I believe I sub-consciously love rejection ! I sure have had my part when it comes to drawing tags especially in New Mexico ! I rubbed my rabbit's foot, squeezed my 4 - leaf clover and rubbed a red head kid what did I leave out?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 2 Posts
    Lol. Ive had about the same success with NM. This year I lowered my goals a bit and put in for units that have a little bit better than a one in a million chance

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    When my kid wants a snow day, he puts his pjs on inside out, puts a spoon under his pillow, and flushes an ice cube down the toilet. Maybe you could try that, but only on the night before the draw.

Don't feel bad I live here and have been on a 5 year drought. And that's as a resident.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Man, 5 yr drought as a resident is tough...

We have ours in but i went with units with a reasonable chance. If we draw, i am counting on the terrain and wilderness area to still allow me to have a decent experience with regard to getting away from pressure. I could care less about trophy quality...i just want to hunt, on my own, and enjoy a quality experience. Last mule deer hunt in NM was too far on the other side of the pendulum and the hunt was way crowded and frustrating to just make contact with game. Hopefully, we have a better compromise this year and get drawn.... fingers crossed. If not, its OTC for us since i am not willing to burn points in other states yet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Applying for big game tags in other states has become such a science and sometimes it's kind of weird. Like in NM some units that only have 4 NR tags show a greater % of draw success than units with 15 tags. Obviously more people are applying for 15 tag unit but you really have to study before applying. I applied for low percentage draw on 1st choice and increase and choice higher % draws for my next two choices (like most applicants I assume ) but I think I will use the Ice Cube and Toilet strategy recommended by " chsdaddy " above.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is my first year trying for New Mexico ( just moved here in November), but I have hunted CO numerous times in the past.

I think my eyeballs were ready to fall out trying to decipher the 2013 harvest results cross referencing the hunt GMU's and draw success rates.... Geesh.

I did put in for hunts that offered high draw success, but they are for NM residents only and for cow. I just want some elk meat back in the freezer. 2nd choice for elk was a muzzleloader hunt in Unit 45. I also do not want to be in the crowds.

Good luck to you all.