Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm gonna follow jenbickel around and when I shoot the big one all of her people can help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 1 Post
    lol what are you talking about.. you are my people lol so you better get to working out!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Size would matter. Last year the guys camping across from me landed a nice 6x6. One hind quarter weighed in over 130lbs. He had over 50lbs of just neck meat.
    The last animal I packed out was a boned out muley. Boned out it weighed in 55lbs. LOL.
    I plan on landing as big an elk as I can, but I know that more than one trip with over 100lbs on my back would start to demoralize me fast.

Depending on your wife...as they vary in weight, Strap her on your frame pack and take a walk down the street. Wave at the neighbors, and smile. LOL.
    This will give you an idea how far you and your pack will want to be friends on that trail.
    Last edited by wolftalonID; 07-17-2011 at 09:39 PM.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with RUTTIN, by yourself a big bull would be 4 or 5 loads. So unless you're in awesome shape, have a lot of friends willing to help or access to horses I wouldn't kill one more than a few miles back in. 3 miles each way for 5 trips adds up quick, especially with 100 lb + loads and any elevation gain.

I like the packing your wife around idea wolftalonID haha.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    You guys/gals that pack them on your back, my hats off to you. I prefer to pack them on a horse and I don't have to worry about limits of going back in.

Bro in Law arrowed a big 6 few years back (we were in 3-4 miles), while we were preparing to break it down a solo hunter from Georgia happened upon us. He was in awe at how large these things are. His departing words were "There's no way I could get one out by myself, I didn't realize how big they were". Be sure to have buddies to help.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    me and my friend got my 5x 6 out last november in one trip, the elk had the biggest body i've ever seen, we each grabbed a front and hind quarter, and put the back straps and inside tenders in our packs and cut the horns off and went, it was mostly downhill luckily, but the snow was deep. Probably helps that were only 23 years old though

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My view on this is that it depends on how many days you have and how far in you are. If I have 9 days off and kill a bull on day one I am in no hurry to get him out quickly depending on the weather of course. As the days narrow down I hunt closer and closer to the camp. And in the early days I have spots that anything less than a 320" bull will not get shot. I try to keep reality in check when elk hunting which has costed me several successful hunts but I wasn't regretting it later. I "HAD" a hunting partner with a shoot first figure it out later mentality and he is no longer my partner.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've killed three bulls in the last three years and all have been about the 2 miles as the crow flies from the truck. It's 1800' drop down to the truck over .6 miles of the last leg. I wouldn't be able to do it without ski poles/hiking sticks. That piece of gear alone has been a life saver packing 100lb pack loads down the mountain. I always have one stick in my pack and the other comes back up the mountain from the truck on the 2nd trip back up. All of my elk have been solo packed in four seperate loads. Your silly if you don't debone either. Outdoor Edge has great video's on deboning elk. Gutless method is the way to go also.

Last years bull I tried something new and packed it out the majority of the way in a circuit. What I mean is I'd go 200yards with the pack/antlers meat in the Eberlestock Blue Widow, then go back and bear hug an Alaskan Game bag chock full of meat and carry it to the pack. Two more game bags left and then it would be forward progress again. For the steep stuff, I'd do the pack only. It took me about 10hours to have all of the meat back to the truck. I've never felt so tired in my life once the packing is done. I always end up packing out in the pitch black of night. It's amazing what tricks your mind will play on you in the middle of the night, all bloody and a 100lb of meat on your back.

The best part is eating the steak one night at the table and realizing the fruits of your labor.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm coyoting in about five hours. Right now I'm solo cuz my hunting partners are smarter than me. Unfortunately that is where the elk want to play.

I'll be staging my quarters at a creek. I'll be deboning for the first time this year as well. This is my first year going this far back. In fact the area I am referencing I've only been in once. Last year I started exploring just to get away from the pressure and found a few honey holes but I'm going to have to earn it.

Good luck to you boys.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 3 Posts
    As far as it takes to find the bulls/bucks...